It’s been a while, but I’m super excited to relaunch this podcast by bringing you at least a few episodes on the topic of engaging adults in particular with family philanthropy. I’m bringing you these insights in conjunction with the National Center for Family Philanthropy to show you that, as a family business leader, you can make a profound impact through philanthropy in your family foundation.
This week, I’m interviewing Theo Avery, a third-generation family business leader of The Durfee Foundation. At one stage, Theo was somewhat estranged from the side of his family who ran the foundation, and he’s here to share his insights into how his family engaged him in the foundation without pressure, and how he got involved while he was also in the process of starting out his own career.
Tune in this week to discover how to engage the next generation in your family foundation. Theo Avery is sharing all the things that made his transition onto his family foundation’s board a smooth and welcoming experience, and his plans for engaging the fourth generation of leaders at the Durfee Foundation.
If you’re a family business leader and you’re interested in exploring this work further, send me an email for more details about The Family Business Leader Mastermind.
What You Will Discover:
- How Theo got involved with his family’s philanthropic ventures.
- The practical side of engaging and onboarding family members into a foundation like this.
- Theo’s positive experience of being given flexibility as he started in his role as a board member.
- The work that the Durfee Foundation is doing that Theo is most proud to be a steward of.
- How Durfee are approaching engaging potential fourth-generation of board members and how they’re planning for the next two decades.
- Theo’s thoughts about the importance of starting conversations about wealth, access, privilege, and responsibility.
- What to consider when engaging and onboarding new board members in your family foundation.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- The Family Business Leader Mastermind is now accepting applications.
- The Durfee Foundation
- The National Center for Family Philanthropy
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
Have a topic suggestion?
If you are the next generation of family business, philanthropy and wealth, and have a topic you think we should discuss, let us know at Ellie@successfulgenerations.com.