Welcome back for the third installment of our series on engaging adults in family philanthropy, in partnership with The National Center for Family Philanthropy. Today, we’re talking to Courtney Scott, and I just know you’re going to love her.
Courtney comes from a ranching and banking family, and she’s here to share everything she knows about preparing the next generation to join your family foundation. Courtney comes from a huge family with multiple foundations between them, so she has a wealth of knowledge to share in this area.
Tune in this week to discover the real wisdom of Courtney Scott when it comes to family philanthropy. She’s sharing her valuable advice for anyone thinking of bringing their children into the fold. We also had a deep discussion on the topic of wealth discrepancy, which is something we don’t talk about enough in the family philanthropy space.
If you’re a family business leader and you’re interested in exploring this work further, send me an email for more details about The Family Business Leader Mastermind.
What You Will Discover:
- Courtney’s experience of coming from a large philanthropic family.
- How Courtney found her place within the foundation her father had started.
- Why a foundation isn’t a family foundation until the second generation has been engaged.
- Courtney’s advice to anyone who is preparing to engage the next generation in their foundation.
- How Courtney thinks about being compensated for the philanthropic work she does and philanthropy as a profession.
- The power of having a mentor and where to look for resources that can help you on your philanthropic journey.
- How Courtney stays engaged, keeping things fresh and exciting while working closely with her family.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- The Family Business Leader Mastermind is now accepting applications.
- Courtney Scott: LinkedIn | Twitter
- The National Center for Family Philanthropy
- Northwestern Kellogg Nonprofit Finance: Toolkit for Leaders
- Generations of Giving by Kelin E. Gersik
- Generation Impact by Michael Moody and Sharna Goldseker
- Pendulum by Roy Williams and Michael Drew
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
Have a topic suggestion?
If you are the next generation of family business, philanthropy and wealth, and have a topic you think we should discuss, let us know at Ellie@successfulgenerations.com.