“Really, is there all that much value to having a coach?”
I hear this question from time to time, and most recently, it got me thinking about coaching and the value I’ve received from it after years and years of working with coaches, and now serving as a coach myself.
Most of my life, I’ve had at least one coach. Early on, it was athletic coaches for team sports. As I’ve grown, I’ve worked with personal trainers, life coaches, and business coaches, and more. From these coaches, I have been pushed to exceed my goals and expectations exponentially. I’ve learned to live my life with no regrets. And today I’m living the life I had only dreamed about years ago. Value? Yep.
Because I am a person who likes to see the proof, I started creating a list (something my coach calls a thought download) of all the ways I have experienced the value of coaching. After all, since I am a coach, I should probably be well versed in all I have personally gained by doing the work. (Because, my friends, you DO actually have to do the work).
Here’s my list. A coach:
- Pushes me past my self-defined limits
- Holds me accountable for the goals I say I want to achieve
- Helps me understand why I am not achieving those goals
- Helps me to define success for myself
- Helps me to understand where I am standing in my own way
- Helps me to see my blind spots so I can do something about it
- Helps me to become a better version of myself
- Teaches me new tools and skills to help me move toward my goals
- Asks me questions and doesn’t believe my BS
- Helps me take the risks I need to take and holds my hair when I am sick with fear
- Helps me face my fears
- Helps me to experience life fully—the good, bad, shameful, and amazing—without judgment
- Walks with me every step of the way as I become the person I am meant to be
- Helps me find abundance during times of scarcity
- Helps me love my husband and son no matter what they do because their actions have nothing to do with me as a parent or a spouse AND just loving them is WAY more fun
I have many stories about achieving greater success than I had initially thought possible as I got over the obstacles standing in my way. (Note: The obstacle was usually me—my thoughts and beliefs, fear, and self-doubt mixed with insecurity holding me back).
Through coaching, I have:
- Rowed varsity crew as a sophomore for a division 1 school
- Gained the confidence to leave my incredible full-time job to launch my own company
- Taken back control over my calendar
- All but banned the word “busy” from my vocabulary
- Made more money in the first five months of this year than all of 2018
If you are interested in experiencing the value of coaching, reach out, or schedule a free session with me today.