Kim Eddleston is a Professor of Entrepreneurship and an academic fellow who specializes in family business. She comes from a family that runs several family businesses across numerous industries and Kim has devoted her work to helping the rising generation become the kind of leaders their family enterprise needs them to be.
Kim is on the show this week to discuss an area of knowledge and passion for her: entitlement. This is a huge issue within the family business sphere. As a family business grows, the number of people around it will follow. And Kim is here to discuss how we can be discerning about who we involve, and how we should be allocating our resources.
Tune in this week for a discussion with Kim Eddleston about entitlement. Kim is telling us what she thinks the next generation needs to understand about entitlement, and she’s sharing some real examples of entitlement putting family enterprises in difficult positions.
If you can’t get aligned or on the same page, don’t give up. Try this simple framework, my Same Page Leadership Framework instead.
What You Will Discover:
- How Kim defines entitlement.
- Why entitlement is a problem that any family enterprise could face at any time.
- What Kim believes the next generation specifically needs to know about entitlement.
- The dangers of people involved in any family business, new or old, feeling entitled to a job or involvement in the business.
- The importance of being more hardline about distinguishing the resources of the business versus that of the family.
- Some real-life examples of entitlement within family businesses that got out of hand.
- How to do the work with your family to ensure entitlement doesn’t get in the way.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- The Family Business Leader Mastermind is now accepting applications.
- Kim Eddleston: LinkedIn
- Kim Eddelston at Northeastern University
- Free Resources for Business Owning Families
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
Have a topic suggestion?
If you are the next generation of family business, philanthropy and wealth, and have a topic you think we should discuss, let us know at Ellie@successfulgenerations.com.