The number on the scale, and whether it needs to go up or down, weighs heavily in the minds of many. In this episode, Cynthia Damakos, Certified Holistic Life Coach is back to talk about weight management. She uses science to dispel several common misconceptions, provides tools and insights, and discusses the layers that must be pulled back to understand why weight can be a challenge. As Cynthia says, “Weight issues don’t happen in a vacuum.”
This is Cynthia’s second time on the SG Podcast. Back in episode 009 she joined us to talk about stress management and holistic health.
Find Cynthia at holisticchristianlife.com. Check out her resources page for product recommendations.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- What is a certified holistic life coach? (1:45)
- Top reasons people work with a holistic life coach (4:35)
- Cynthia’s process for understanding the whole person (5:30)
- Weight management goes beyond will power (7:30)
- Obstacles to managing weight and how to overcome them (9:38)
- Four misconceptions and the truth (13:30)
- Cynthia’s favorite resources (19:49)
- The key role of food sensitivities (23:26)
- How to find Cynthia (27:07)
- Wrap up (28:30)
After close to four decades of studying health and nutrition for herself, family, and friends in an informal manner, Cynthia made it official by becoming certified as a Holistic Health Coach through The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Her background in public speaking, and her passion for living a healthy and Christ centered life, has propelled her to help others realize their potential. She has a private coaching practice, is the author of The Holistic Christian Woman, leads women’s wellness workshops, speaks at conferences,
and holds retreats.
Notable & Quotable:
Weight is 85% of what you put in your mouth and 15% exercise. —Cynthia Damaskos, #successfulgenerations #health #wellness #holistichealth
You can’t exercise away a bad diet. —Cynthia Damaskos, #successfulgenerations #health #wellness #holistichealth
Calories in, calories out is old science. Good weight management is about quality calories and good nutrition. —Cynthia Damaskos, #successfulgenerations #health #wellness #holistichealth
Changing your lifestyle is not about deprivation, but rather abundance. —Cynthia Damaskos, #successfulgenerations #health #wellness #holistichealth
Inflammation is the root of disease and bad fats cause inflammation. —Cynthia Damaskos, #successfulgenerations #health #wellness #holistichealth
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Time Magazine article, Cellular Inflammation: The Secret Killer
- Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? by Dr. Mark Hyman
- A Mind of Your Own: The Truth About Depression and How Women Can Heal Their Bodies to Reclaim Their Lives by Dr. Kelly Brogan
- MarieTV episode with Dr. Kelly Brogan
- Environmental Working Group (also check out EWG’s Healthy Living App)
Right Click and “Save As” to download this episode to your phone.
Don’t risk missing out on any of the fun that is to come.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Want more of Successful Generations? Check out our other episodes:
Learn more about Successful Generations:
Have a topic suggestion?
If you are the next generation of family business, philanthropy and wealth, and have a topic you think we should discuss, let us know at Ellie@successfulgenerations.com.